Monday, July 15, 2013

Memorial Morning

  
    One usually justifies getting up early in the morning by going to bed earlier, right? At least that's what I always tell myself when I know the next day is going to be a long one. For some reason the going to bed earlier part never really happens. Especially when spending time with friends involves river adventures, cooking dinner and shooting pool until midnight. My buddy Danny still woke Brian and I up at 4:45am and were on the road by five from Leesburg, VA to the west side of the Washington Monument for a sunrise walk through monument park. Pretty cute of us, I know. 


     Not too big of a coffee drinker so at 5am you can bet the car was pretty quiet. Sun was slowly rising over the Potomac River as we crossed the Roosevelt Memorial Bridge into DC. It feels like every time I check the map I am somewhere extremely important and didn't even know it. Did you know all 50 states have their own street somewhere in Washington, DC? L'Enfant had originally designed the city with the thirteen colonies as major streets but later had to find space for the other 37. Pretty sure there are only 50 US states, not sure about the territories of Puerto Rico and District of Columbia.  Tangent.  The quiet ride in turned into further speechless yet affection filled manner with sights like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment